Wednesday 20 November 2013

Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara

Starring
Hrithik Roshan 
Abhay Deol 
Farhan Akhtar 
Katrina Kaif

So I’m a huge Hrithik Roshan fan, I knew that I would enjoy this movie simply because he was one of the stars. However, other than him being in it, it did look like one of those romcoms that might be worth watching.
The movie definitely didn’t disappoint.
I really enjoyed it and it wasn’t because it was necessarily a great story or had over the top acting. It was more just a feel good movie. It also has one of my favorite songs of the year in it, “Ik Junoon”. It's a great song to dance to, work out to or just sing in the car on a road trip to feel good about yourself.

As for the story it was pretty much what the title eludes it to be. You don’t live life twice so you might as well make the best of what you’ve got. Live in the moment and don’t give up on your dreams just because of other people’s opinions. It s a great motto to live by, but also a very unrealistic one. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m the first person to yell YOLO and take a shot of vodka but I’m also the person that will go to bed right after that shot because I have to wake up to go to work the next day.
In true unrealistic movie fashion the three guys take this amazing trip to Spain and go on all these heart stopping adventures. Heart stopping usually means that it’s expensive. They go scuba diving, sky diving and of course run with the bulls. All very exciting adventures in themselves but, of course, they are ushered around the country by the beautiful Katrina Kaif. I’m not going to address her acting skills because that point would be moot, we all know what she gets cast for: She looks good in a bikini and isn’t afraid to flaunt copious amounts of skin.

What really made me angry with this movie is the westernization of almost every aspect of the movie. I feel like I will continue to have this gripe as time goes on and we move further away from the true roots of bollywood films. What’s with the proposal scene that launches the whole movie?? Are we supposed to believe that young people in the east are just casually getting engaged nowadays? And why is everybody having one night stands now? That wedding scene at the end was way too American. I really enjoyed the message of this film, it was definitely a feel good movie but the American influences are ruining my love for new bollywood movies.
Stop making out with people Hrithik!!!

Article by the Diner's very own Bollywood reporter Kiva Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment